I feel I have the best job in the world… sometimes. Most other times, I feel I’d rather use what meagre savings I have to buy a push cart and start selling a variety of nuts at a night market.
Working in advertising is a love-hate relationship. At times, it feels that I am on top of the world, looking down at number-crunching, corporate rats struggling in their long sleeves and heels under the burning sun. Most times, I feel the only real perk of working in this industry is the part where I only need to be attired jeans and t-shirts.
But that’s the nature of the business isn’t it? While I may not absolutely love every moment; I can’t think of doing anything else either. And after being a copywriter for 12 years *gasp*; here are some commemorative observations, unofficial facts and anecdotes:
- I often hear the words catchy, punchy or juicy and a combination thereof frequently. Until today, I have no idea what they are supposed to mean.
- There is never a shortage of misguided advertising graduates thinking that this is a cool and awesome industry to work in.
- The one thing that’s more irritating than clients are ex-agency people who have become clients.
- Copywriters are assumed to have memorized the meaning, spelling and pronunciation of every English word in existence.
- There’s often a meeting to discuss what was supposedly decided at the previous meeting.
- When there are two or more creative directors in a room, the one that ‘looks’ more creative is actually the least creative.
- Everyone tries very hard to pretend to be smarter or more creative than they actually are at open briefings.
- Agencies make more changes on creative on the eve of presentations than on the eve of material deadlines; and then complain about how fickle clients are.
- Most designers and art directors at one point of their lives had or currently have an unhealthy looking ponytail.
- Account Exes are highly paid dispatch riders; at least in the early days of their careers.
- You think you’ve conceived a great idea only to wake up the next morning and realize you’ve pulled more crap from your arse.
And there you have it… the Top 11, because 10 is just not enough.